Business Students Travel to Paris

Story submitted by Alyssa Bilkovski  Photo Credit: Alyssa Bilkovski and Madison Pace

Before going on this trip, I was mainly looking forward to seeing Paris as a whole. I have studied French for many years and was excited to use and practice my French. Being surrounded by French people was the best way for me to improve my language and comprehension skills. On top of practicing my French, I was excited to explore the city of Paris. Paris is such an iconic city and it was a dream to see the Eiffel Tower in person!

I studied at the American Business School of Paris (ABS) and took two management electives: Learning to Fail and the Business of European Football (which was taught by accounting professor Dave Henderson). I had class every Tuesday and Thursday, so I was able to explore Paris and travel during my days off. During my time in Paris I was able to see all the major landmarks such as the Eiffel Tower, Sacré Coeur, and the Arc de Triomphe.

On the weekends I was able to travel to other countries in Europe with my friends. We went to Amsterdam and Brussels which was amazing, the architecture was unbelievable! ABS planned a weekend trip to Reims, France where we got to tour a Champagne house and have a traditional French dinner. I also visited Marseille, France and traveled to Lausanne, Switzerland to visit family. One highlight of my trip was being able to watch the US Women’s National Team play Chile in the Women’s World Cup. It was such as amazing atmosphere to be a part of!

One of the biggest things I learned was how to work with people from different cultures and backgrounds. A unique aspect of ABS is that students come from so many different countries. It was such a unique experience to be in class and listen to my classmates talk about their experiences from their home countries. Group projects usually bring challenges, but group assignments at ABS brought additional challenges as individuals had different viewpoints. I learned that individuals have different priorities when it comes to time management. It was challenging the first few weeks, but I learned to accept their methods as each student has a different way that works best for them.

I am so thankful I was able to go on this trip. It was such a great experience and I know the experiences I had and the lessons I learned will benefit me in my future. For anyone who is considering studying abroad and has the opportunity to do so, I strongly recommend taking advantage of the once in a lifetime opportunity!

Speak Your Mind

*