1. What was your major/minor and when did you graduate?
I graduated in 2017 with a degree in Business Administration.
2. What is your current position (title, company, location)? Can you describe a typical day?
I am a Sales Associate with the Washington Speakers Bureau located in Old Town Alexandria. My team particularly focuses on the finance and technology industries. A typical day consists of interacting with clients, negotiating event details, working through any contractual and legal processes and generating new business. We meet with world leaders, political figures, sports legends, thought leaders and occasional celebrities to gain better understandings of how t position them to clients hosting events.
3. How did your major prepare you for your current job?
Courses within my major involved a significant amount of team/group collaboration which made working with co-workers feel natural.
4. How did you become interested in your field?
World events/news and the business-side of it all has always been of interest to me.
5. What’s the best career advice you ever received?
Gen. Colin Powell’s advice to us was to ‘Be Curious’. Consistently applying this motto to one’s career and life can attract opportunity and teach beyond measure.
6. Was there a professor, advisor, or fellow student who made an impression on you or helped you when you were at UMW?
The swim team helped me stay afloat.
7. What’s your fondest memory of UMW?
I enjoyed the tranquility and near-absence of foot traffic that accompanied the all-nighters at the library.
8. Are there any special accomplishments you’ve achieved after college that you’d like to share?
I can leave my comfort zone at will.
9. How would your family or friends describe you in seven words or less?
Cerebral, inquisitive, detail-oriented, selfless, hard-working, funny, ravenous
10. In one sentence, what advice would you give current business students?
To all students, capitalize on getting to know your professors and ask questions.