1. What was your major/minor and when did you graduate?
Major: Business Administration (December 2018)
2. What is your current position (title, company, location)? Can you describe a typical day?
- Title: Financial Advisor, Assistant Vice President
- Company: Citizens Securities, Inc.
- Location: Fairport, NY
- Typical day: My typical day includes meetings, phone calls, and Webex’s with clients and prospects. My job is to uncover opportunities where I can make a positive impact on their lives through careful financial planning.
3. How did your major prepare you for your current job?
My major gave me a broad sense of the business world and a set of skills that can be transferred to any industry.
4. How did you become interested in your field?
In Dr. Lynne Richardson’s Sales class, Christopher Fines came in to talk about his career in financial advising. Chris also came into another one of my classes in the next semester to talk about his career and that is when I realized this field would be a perfect fit for me. Chris talked a lot about the joy it brings him to help people in a truly meaningful way, by creating and building relationships with his clients.
5. What’s the best career advice you ever received?
Entertain and be open to all opportunities, because you never know where they will lead.
6. Was there a professor, advisor, or fellow student who made an impression on you or helped you when you were at UMW?
I only attended UMW for three semesters, and all of the relationships I made were fruitful. I still keep in touch with many of my teammates from the baseball team. If I were to single one person out that helped me, it would be Zavier Webb. In my last semester at UMW he encouraged me to take a leap and look at financial advisor jobs and start applying. A few months later, and I landed my first job with Merrill Lynch a titan in the financial industry.
7. What’s your fondest memory of UMW?
Out of all the memories I can think of, I would have to go with being a part of the baseball team! I met some incredible people who I still keep in contact with today.
8. Are there any special accomplishments you’ve achieved after college that you’d like to share?
I married the woman of my dreams (during a global pandemic!), we bought our forever home, and added a puppy named Chewie to our little family!
9. How would your family or friends describe you in seven words or less?
Passionate, Active, Faithful, competitive, outdoorsman, and old-soul
10. In one sentence, what advice would you give current business students?
Get involved in some way, shape, or form at UMW. College can be daunting at times and this will help you meet people and make friends.