1. What was your major/minor and when did you graduate?
2. What is your current position (title, company, location)? Can you describe a typical day?
Operational Risk Manager – Payment Governance, Freddie Mac, Tysons Corner VA
During my typical workday, I am responsible for the oversight of our organization’s end-to-end payment processes and managing all of the risks of “what could go wrong”. We make billion dollar payments on a day-to-day basis! Generally this includes of meetings with my business and technology partners but we make sure to have some fun along the way.
3. How did your major prepare you for your current job?
Attending a liberal arts school prepared me to think broadly but also dive deep and not be afraid of any given subject.
4. How did you become interested in your field?
My last year in college I took an Information Systems class which included concepts anchored to IT risk management. Towards the end, another Mary Wash alumni had reached out through our professor to recruit at my current organization. I’m forever grateful for that and proud of the initiative our alumni take to give back.
5. What’s the best career advice you ever received?
Embrace failure and trust your intuition.
6. Was there a professor, advisor, or fellow student who made an impression on you or helped you when you were at UMW?
Leigh Frackleton, Dave Henderson and Ken Machande. I (including all other alumni) still get written letters from Professor Frackleton every now and then, including the year I graduated and personal details you wouldn’t ever think a professor could possibly remember so many years later.
7. What’s your fondest memory of UMW?
Being part of the women’s tennis team (top 10 nationally ranked!) and making the best relationships. Playing a sport throughout school prepared me for post grad life just as much as the academic side.
8. Are there any special accomplishments you’ve achieved after college that you’d like to share?
- Completed Masters of Technology Management at Georgetown University
- Received numerous awards at Freddie Mac recognizing efforts going above and beyond and exceptional performance.
- Supported the ground up design and establishment of a new function at my organization.
9. How would your family or friends describe you in seven words or less?
A highly driven and equally empathetic friend.
10. In one sentence, what advice would you give current business students?
Take this time to explore the things you’re truly interested in and figure out what those things are that make you curious to learn more.