I graduated in May 2018 with a major in business administration and a minor in economics.
2. What is your current position (title, company, location)? Can you describe a typical day?
I am an associate financial advisor at Cary Street Partners in Fredericksburg, VA. A typical day can include reviewing and/or presenting client accounts and financial plans. My work is focused around and tailored to each individual and family, so the process of getting to know the details of their quantitative and qualitative lives is substantial.
3. How did your major prepare you for your current job?
The business administration major did a great job preparing me for my current role in that it gave me exposure to fields outside of my main focus (finance) with classes like management, business communication, and marketing. These classes helped shape me into a more well-rounded employee and I utilize their tools every day.
4. How did you become interested in your field?
I wanted to be in the business of having a direct meaningful impact on individual and families lives. This goal, paired with my interest in finance and economics, introduced me to the field of financial advising and planning. A mentor at the COB knew I was exploring business fields and connected me with an alumni in the field that would be willing to explain the ins and outs of his career. He is now my friend and colleague!
5. What’s the best career advice you ever received?
To stay true to yourself. In any field or with any goal in mind, it is crucial to be you and be driven by your genuine self.
6. Was there a professor, advisor, or fellow student who made an impression on you or helped you when you were at UMW?
So many! Lynne Richardson and Andrea Cordray quickly became mentors throughout college and to this day. I am grateful to have had so many professors and faculty that truly wanted to see their students succeed.
7. What’s your fondest memory of UMW?
Being on ball circle on a beautiful day eating lunch or relaxing while the lawn was full of other students having fun and enjoying the day.
8. Are there any special accomplishments you’ve achieved after college that you’d like to share?
My accomplishments after college center around studying for and receiving industry licensing. I am now studying to become a Certified Financial Planner.
9. How would your family or friends describe you in seven words or less?
A driven & kindhearted optimist.
10. In one sentence, what advice would you give current business students?
Your efforts in the classroom are important, but your efforts outside of the classroom are essential and can make the biggest impact on your life.